Thursday, September 23, 2010

Walking Like A Lonely Planet-er!

I bet the word "planet-er" is not even a word but i am using it anyways. The reason is before my trip, i had went to MPH and bought myself a book written by writers of the well known tv program called "Lonely Planet".


So the second day of my trip solely lied amongst me, my mood, my energy level and the help of Lonely Planet Tokyo in my hands. It was the very first time in my life that i will be traveling an unknown city by myself. This idea had been lingering in my mind for a long time but i was too afraid to do so and hence i would always be accompanied by someone whenever i travel.

But hey this is Japan. It has a reputation of being one of the safest city in the world. With the book and map in my hand and making sure that my handphone is fully charged, and of course with some yens in my pocket plus a credit card to back me up, where is there for me to loose right?!


So my first stop was Shinjuku where the chic meets high streets. Right after i had breakfast with KC and after seeing him off to work, i set on my adventure. Shinjuku looks rather calm and quiet on a Monday morning. The thing is i am not very good with directions even with a map in my hand. So i was just wandering and walking aimlessly in Shinjuku while trying to catch interesting spots.

And we have the concrete forests...

Land of the kitty...

A Kitty saying Hello...

By the time i finished with Shinjuku, it was already noon and my legs were aching. Well i didnt really finished Shinkuju per say but since i had limited time, i had no choice but to move on to my next destination, Ginza. Ginza is famous for its high end shopping. The moment i step out of the subway, i was bombarded by zillions of high end brands. You name it they have it. Tiffany, Gucci, Mikimoto, LV, Prada..... and the amazing part it Ginza is crowded. Tai-tais will be walking around with they latest branded bags and shopping as if these brands cost them nothing. All malls were crowded as it there was a sales going on.

As for me, i wandered a little before deciding to burn some holes in my pocket. Be awed everyone!

32g Ipad for 58,500 yen!

That comes with a 2 year free wifi subscription in Japan!

Burberry Blue Label! Only available in Japan and selling for 32,000 yen!

Isn't it fun to shop in Japan? You can just get the latest thing you want! Well i should be a happy and broke woman by now, shouldn't me? Well sadly the answer is no. Ipad is not for me. It is a birthday gift for my old man. Burberry is not for me too, was just helping my friend to buy them. But, one thing good is i got to experience shopping and had fun without paying! So it was fun still.

After all these "kah-cing" sound coming from my wallet, i decided it is time to just go back to the hotel, rest myself a bit before heading to Shibuya later at night. Of course i could not stop the temptation of buying some sweets for tea since i have been seeing the stall from all the walking from the subway station leading to the hotel i was staying.




After a little rest, i decided to join the working crowd in the subway again by daringly taking the subway at 5.30pm. Boy it was packed but so much fun just to watch them. And finally i was at Shibuya, a place where teenagers will hang out at night for dating, pubing and according to Lonely Planet, Shibuya is also a place where the gangsters hang around. Interesting!


Jap girls dress cute and in latest trend. Look at her, isnt she cute?

And i even saw bands performing in street..

Kakooii-desu neh!!! I bet this is a upcoming band promoting for their latest album because i saw cds being sold too..

After a bit of walking, i then indulged myself by going over to the largest crossroad in Shinjuku. The crossroad is shaped in a 8-gua (look at the zebra crossings in the pic) and for a period of 1 min, you get to cross the roads in any way you like. Being the silly me, i attempted a zig-zag path. It was awesome!!!



After that, it was time for dinner so i just walked where my leg brought me to and just took a seat at this restaurant for a bowl of ramen. Now this is a really embarrassing experience.

The machine commutes in Kanji and i have little to no idea how to use it. I tried to figure it out for 2 times but failed and there were people waiting behind me. So what i did was to step away, let them use and watch and learn. Embarrassing! 





600 yen for such a huge bowl or delicious ramen. Worth it!! And true enough any restaurant you walk into, the ramen is definitely nicer than those offer in KL. 

With a satisfying dinner and a huge tummy, i decided to call it a night. Besides my legs were just killing me! That's all for now folks. Next stop, going back to the history of Tokyo!


No comments: