Saturday, October 24, 2009

Employment

Went to a newly opened supermarket today to shop for some tit bits. The moment we walked in, the cashier sitting at the cash registered greeted us with a great smile and beginning to speak to us in different languages until we finally responded when he said "Ni Hau".

As we were in the basement, i finally found the clock that was missing from the house all the time. When i picked up the clock, the same cashier came to me and took over the box and said something in French saying that he needed to write the code on the box for easy scanning later. And i let him. The funny thing is when he finished with the box and the code, instead of coming to me and handling over the box to me, he did an unbelievable action. He grabbed my hand instead and pull my hand over the box. I was a little stunned but then i took it as an action of welcoming.

Then when we proceed to the counter where all the toiletries are, normally, there will be someone behind the counter who will picked up the brand we want and hand it over to us. Instead this time when i asked for Garnier shampoo, the cashier now walking together with his boss, came to me and then he grab my arm again with one hand, and another one behind my back, and pushed me to walk over the counter to take whatever i want. I was rather uncomfortable. As i was looking through all the brands that are available, they begin to speak to KC on something.

Suddenly, KC gave out a loud laugh and told me that "I think you are employed! They want you to work here over this counter! They are willing to pay you 20,000 Dinars a month (which is about RM2,000). "

I was stunned! I told the boss "No, thank you" but he insisted and even handed over his hand for a handshake! I tried so hard to explain to him that i do no speak either French or Arabic. He was all smiley until he finally understood and then gave me a very very disappointing look. After that even though we declined his help to carry our shopping basket, nonetheless he did so and all the time when we queued to pay, he kept trying to make conversations with us and still testing if i knew French or Arabic.

What a weird experience. What a good way to boost my self esteem knowing that i am still demanded when it comes to job!

No comments: