Saturday, August 15, 2009

I LUV YOU

When i was younger, i often see my dad saying that to my mother only to have her blushed and avoiding to return a "I Love You Too" to my dad. Then my dad will be very persistent and say it to her again. And then, knowing that she cant escape it, she will quickly mumble a "I Love You Too", hoping that my dad will leave her alone. Besides this, there are also the lack of loving gestures in the family. Gestures like kissing and hugging is rare in the family. Not because my parents does not love each other or they dont love the kids, it is just that being the traditional Chinese as we are, loves are often kept unsaid but shown in other ways, such as making sure that we have a nice house to live in, that food is often available to us, that we are bought clothes and etc, you know what i meant.

When i first learnt to say these three words or return the love, it was when i first fall in love. When my first love told me that 3 little words, i was over the moon and thrilled and i thought that "I Love You" is only meant to be said when it comes to a relationship. And then i went overseas to study. By then i have already gotten my heart broken and understood that "I Love You" do not mean forever love.

When i studied in overseas, i began to miss my family and my friends a lot. And from the influences of the west, i began to understand the true meaning of the 3 little words. And it is from then that i started to tell my family "I Love You". It was awkward initially. When i first uttered these words to my parents, i didnt get back the "I Love You too" because i think they were stunned to hear that, that goes the same to my brothers. To my brothers, it is just strange to hear that from the sister. Eventually my parents got used to it and began to return their loves. So did my brothers. Not because they understood that love can be extended beyond relationship, it is just that they too went overseas to study and were exposed to the culture.

There are often times when i want to also tell my buddies that i love them, because i really do. Some who are more open minded, will gladly accept it and return their love. Some would be stunned by me and could not know how to react. It wasnt that bad when i am telling the 3 little words to a girl buddy, the worst was when my buddy is a male. There are many times when i want to tell them that "Hey, I love You" but i didnt, all because i think that will really make a false impression for them and they might even avoid me eventually. How do i make them understand that my love for them is only brotherly love and nothing more? I really do not have the guts to take this risky steps.

To the girls that i know since primary and secondary schools, to the 2 colleagues that i know from Panasonic, to the idiot whom i chatted so much with in Toyota, to the pet bro whom is now in Macau, to the one who i had cajoled to buy an engagement ring but chicken out eventually and of course to my family and Cofi, i just want to let you all know that I Love You a lot.

1 comment:

Nicky said...

~~ ya n tat ring still with me! i dun care! sell it to u when u back..haha