Monday, April 26, 2010

Feasting

I woke up today feeling very exhausted. I have been experiencing jet lag for the passed few days. I would be sleepy by the time the clock strikes 10pm here and when i woke up the next morning, it will be around 530am. This is killing me. Knowing that i love sleeping and that i cant sleep now, it is like snatching away my life!

Anyway i could actually sleep till late morning today because i am really worn out and am feeling the exhaustion in me. The bad news is, there is supposed to be a maid coming over to clean up 30 minutes ago yet she is still not here! Darn! I could have slept for another 30 minutes.

Ok back to why i was so worn out. The answer is simple. I cooked for a feast yesterday! This is the first time ever in my life that i am cooking everything thing is XXL size just for the size of 6 pax. And the reason is simply because except me, the rest are all male and they are all BIG size!

My dad came to Algers for business trip yesterday and we promised to cook him some delicious Malaysian food. Then KC decided to throw a feast instead by inviting more people. While he was just doing the smsing from his office to inform me of the number of pax, little did he know that i was on the other hand, running around the house preparing the ingredients like a mad woman, all because i have no experience!

Setting up the table. 
We need a plate for rice, a plate for chillies, a bowl for individual soup...
i cant imagine the amount of washing i have to do later..sigh

The main course of the night was Chicken Kut Teh. We bought the packs from the Bak Kut Teh shop in Kelana Jaya. This is one of the best we have ever tried. The soup is clear yet the aroma and flavoring are so rich! The instruction is simple too. Since i have to cook for 6, i put in 1 whole chicken and 4 thighs, together with 6 liters of water, 4 unpeel garlics, 2 teaspoons of dark sauce, 2 table spoons of soya sauce and the secret ingredients from the shop! Viola! The aroma was so strong and it smelled so good that when KC was walking from ground floor towards our apartment on the 2nd, he said he could smelled it!

Mushrooms....

And more mushrooms...

And so when it was time for dinner, KC helped me to "dissect" the whole chicken and to divide them proportionally within the 3 big bowls. I literally used up all the plates, bowls, cups and utensils i have in the kitchen. One more pax and that person will has to eat with her/his fingers! And the small rice cooker that we brought from KL was also filled up, or maybe stuffed and overflown with rice!


I cant even get the lid to cover the rice properly!


Finally, dinner time!

Cheers everyone!
From left bottom, KC, Yasso, Yokouchi and my dad

Yasso was born in Egypt but raised in Canada. So he is actually holding both Egypt and Canada passport. When the Algeria football team was harmed in Egypt during the qualifying match for upcoming World Cup, Yasso actually received dead treats from calls. After that, he is having problems with his colleagues and eventually now he has to disguised himself as Lebanese in his daily life.

Yokouchi on the other hand has just arrived in Algers for 1 month and is waiting to get his working and residence permits done up before he could get his wife and 2 daughters to come over. Surprisingly he has been to Khazastna to work and survived few years! So i am sure he will be able to adapt to Algers and forgo the Japanese in him for a while. Or else i am sure he would have gone mad from the culture shock here.

And after dinner, it was tea and dessert time - Red bean soup! I was so tired that i only managed to eat a little during the whole dinner. I think just the cooking was ok but the serving and cleaning part was what made me so tired.
Hot red bean soup yesterday..
Waiting for my ice cold red bean soup today.. 


But i prefer another type of dessert.


Fancy packaging only in Middle East.



And today, i have another problem... there are so much leftovers that i could fill my lunch and dinner for today....Gulp! Why? Because stupid KC invited another Japanese besides Yokouchi but he did not arrange transportation for him. End up that poor fellow must have waited and waited for no one to pick him up. Idiot KC!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Doesn't sounds BORING at all..... good for you, and I can c KC is becoming a real "comedian". And from wat I can c too, u do need a maid, me me me???? Lols....