Thursday, July 30, 2009

1 year

I was in a cab the other day, sweating profoundly and listening to my ipod. It was a typical afternoon of Beirut and i was on my way to downtown.

The cab driver was a late fifty old Lebanese who spoke little English because in our conversation to negotiate a price for the fare, what we have spoke was Taxi? A/C? Downtown? How much? And he replied mostly with a nod and the price with ten thousand. Once i nodded my head, he just started his engine and the A/C, and thereafter the journey not a word from both of us.

It must have been some auspicious day for the Lebanese that day because along the way i have seen the newly wed cars tied with ribbons. Just as we were turning the corner, a pair of newly wed were standing at the walkway waiting to cross the road. The cab drive signaled to them to cross and the newly wed crossed with a happy smile.

Suddenly the cab driver spoke "1 year!" I was stunned and said "I beg your pardon?" The cab drive then turned his head to me and said again "They, 1 year, happy married!" I couldnt help but laughed so loud and replied with an ok. Then he continued by saying "Before married, guy ask girl, hungry? want shopping? they always say no. After married, everyday want shopping, every time hungry!" By now i was really laughing so loud already not because of his statement, because of they way he spoke it. He continued to grumble and grumble but to himself this time, and i think he was also speaking in Arabic.

I think he must have been through the 1 year to forever hell period of his marriage. And from the way he is still grumbling over it, the hell must be still on going. I wonder if he was as happy when he was first married.

Anyway i was sent to my destination and that interrupted his grumbling and mumbling. I paid and just when i was about to close the door, again he looked at me, using his finger to make a signal of one, and said again "One Year!", and i laughed again so much while closing the door and saying my thank you to him.

One Year!

No comments: