Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Dinner Joke

Something happened to me few days ago and further helped me to understand more on how to stay in Beirut.

Remember i said when we go out, in order to be distinguished from Philippines maids we have to dressed up well and have some branded items on us? Well few days ago i was so lazy to take along my bag so we went out dinner without me taking any single branded items on me.

So we came to this restaurant called the Seafood Palace for dinner. The decorations and style of the restaurant screamed expensive! So we went in, sat down and ordered food and all. All the time i think the waiters must be trying to figure out who is the maid amongst me (the casual dressed one), my dad (definitely not him) and Michelle (who was dresses nicely and having the baby in her arms). I guess it is just pretty easy to think i was the maid aint it? Plus, sitting two tables from us there was a table with a lot of Lebaneses having their dinner and a maid that was sitting at the end of the table. Somehow i see the similarities in her dressing and mine.

And then the most funny thing happened! Our drinks came. I was having a coke and my dad was having a diet coke, and we both requested for ice. So the captain summoned a waiter to bring us a bucket of ice. The waiter came and professionally took my dad's glass and put in the ices for him. After that, he just pushed the bucket to the end of the table and left while me, looking at him with my unbelievable eyes! He really thought i was the maid! So together with my dad, we both laughed out so loudly! And my dad told me, "sorry dear, looks like you are the maid tonight. No LV no ice!" we laughed out so loudly and it was so funny!

So i guessed the captain was still observing us the whole night during our dinner. After seeing that i do not attain to the baby but Michelle did, that i sat through the whole dinner enjoying myself, that i was chatting and laughing with my dad, that i actually do not need to get permission to order whatever i want, that i only helped on on the baby when i was full and satisfied with my dinner, he drew a conclusion that i was not the maid after all!

What was even funnier was we ordered for fruits and the captain brought us the fruits, together with some local desserts, and he smiled shyly and told us, this is on the house. I looked at my dad again and we both laughed, knowing why we got that. And the next thing happened was hilarious! I pointed to some soft cake inside a container and asked the captain what that was, and he did the unbelievable thing! He opened up the container, poured out the cake on my plate, cut it for me, and then forked one piece for me and put near my mouth! Hahahha and he waited for me to eat it, and asked me how it tasted. Of course it tasted delicious because it is like the peanut cake we used to have during CNY. I gave him a thumbs up and he was happy!

Hahahha and then my dad jokingly said that because of that, the tips have dramatically increased! When the bill came, we left a tip of about 14% of the total bill. Not bad huh?

So much for a dinner night out as a maid!

No comments: